Sunday, March 26, 2006

Consistency Isn't My Strong Suit

Yeah, I know, it's been awhile since I've posted anything. Not that anyone is really reading this anyway, but still.... Things have been a little crazy over the past week, and I'm not sure I can post all the details right now. That said, it looks like there are some changes on the horizon.

After a week filled with craziness, I decided to unwind a little by playing at my co-worker Ernest's home game. I finished middle of the pack in the tourney, which isn't too bad considering I didn't catch a starting hand better than pocket 5s during my entire run. The cash game afterward... that was a different story altogether.

There were a few people I knew at the table when we started, fhwdh included, and a bunch of people who I didn't know. Most of the guys were really loose - betting big pre-flop with marginal hands, so I mostly tried to stay out of the way. Todd, who was sitting to my right, was getting hit with the deck too, catching As, Ks, AK suited, and the like practically every hand. He was racking up chips at a pretty good pace, and wasn't scared to put them in the middle.

Finally, I caught pocket Qs in the big blind, and raised. The board came out 5-8-9, and Todd bet. I called, figuring he couldn't be playing 6-7. The turn came 10, and Todd bet again. Figuing he was playing something like A-K or A-10, I put him to the test and pushed all in. He called my $50 raise and showed a A-7, and I took down a killer pot.

I stayed out of the action for the next orbit or so until I caught A-K spades in early position. I raised, and got called by Todd again, who had built up another nice stack by this point. The flop came 7s-10s-qs, giving me the nut flush and a royal draw. I checked, Todd bet and I just flat called. The turn brought another Q, and Todd pushed all in. I called and he didn't even bother showing his bluff when the river brought a blank.

All of a sudden, I had more than $400 in front of me after buying in for $50. I played a few more hands when my phone rang, and HDouble's wife Sofia invited me to join them and Ephro at a local strip club. I figured things couldn't get much better at the table, and why not blow off some steam looking at attractive women, so I joined them at Fantasy Island which, truth be told, is really a bikini bar.

A couple of beers later and Sofia walks up to me with an attractive brunette trailing behind her. Next thing I know, I'm heading off for a private dance courtesy of Sofia and Ephro.

We stayed until last call, and then headed around the corner to a true strip club. The atmosphere sucked, and truth be told, we were all pretty tired, so we left quickly after overpaying for a bottle of water each and debating whether one of the dancer's had implants or not. (I'm still not sure, but if she did, it was the best looking job I've ever seen.)

I wandered home around 3AM, and decided that I may as well take advantage of the hour to call my cousin Liz in London. After an entertaining hour on the phone, I finally crashed around 4, and am just now getting my body clock on something close to a normal schedule.

The rest of the weekend was pretty uneventful, and my string of bad beats continued online. Still, I can't complain, considering Friday's results.

So there it is... my first post in awhile, and my first Hanel-esqe poker story. Now I can truly say my weekend is complete.

No comments: