Thursday, August 07, 2008

A Quickie

No, I haven't given up on this blog yet again. Really. I've just been taking the past few days to decompress and readjust to life here in the 'ol US of A. It's pretty damn nice, if I do say so myself.

In general, I've been lying low. I've caught up with a few friends, had a few good meals and generally enjoyed my time. Earlier in the week, I took a ride out to Long Island where I hooked up with my aunt, uncle and my cousin Liz and her family, who are in from London before moving to Dubai. And I thought Vegas was exotic.

Now, I'm getting my shit together again for a week long family reunion up in the northern reaches of Maine. It's a place we visited often when I was a kid, and one I have been back to in more than 30 years. Damn, I'm frickin' old. Like any family reunion, I'm going into this one with mixed feelings. Of course, I'm looking forward to seeing my sisters and their families and, honestly, I can't think of the last time all of us were together. Still, my family is as dysfunctional as most and I'm just gearing up for the inevitable arguments/squabbles/drama bombs that are sure to erupt.

At least there will be alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol.

Still, for whatever headaches the next week may bring, I'm hoping for a good time. I'll sit on (or in) the lake. Go fishing. Play golf. Watch the Olympics. Generally, just fuck around. Oh, and there's no Internet, which means this little corner of the world is going dark again. Not like anyone is really reading, but still, I thought I'd let you know that this downtime is, in fact, scheduled.

I'll see y'all when I get back.

No comments: