Sunday, December 03, 2006

Quick Impressions

Amsterdam is a strange city, and I'm not wholly sure I like it.

On the plus side, it's got a strong sense of history, culture,and a casual attitude toward drugs and sex that is completely unlike anything I've experienced before.

On the other hand, there's also a sense of - I don't know, menace, perhaps, lurking just below the surface. I mean, I've spent a lot of time in a lot of different cities, but it's been very rare that I've felt as on edge as I did wandering through the Red Light disrict Saturday night. And that was with a group of six or seven other people. I mean, it felt like you could get the shit beat out of you just for looking at someone a little funny.

Like I said - these are quick impressions, but they're all I've got so far.

2 comments:

Bill said...

I'm trying to decide how big a pussy you are :-)

Dude, it's a red light district! What the heck are you expecting? Have you ever been to a red light district in Frankfurt, Paris, or anywhere else? They're dodgy places.

Still, that being said, you find tourists with their entire family in tow strolling the red light district of Amsterdam all the time.

I think the real thing is that these guys know that you're Katkin and have all probably taken a bad beat from you online. :-)

Fawn said...

I'm totally fascinated by this, because one of my best friends has been to Amsterdam a couple of times in the last few years, and she says she's felt totally safe there, even as a woman alone late at night, even in the red light district. I'm wondering if you've put your finger on what made you uncomfortable. (And if you then dipped your finger in the nearest Purell.)